Releasing purchase order
For the actual release of the purchasing document, we can use t-code ME28.
- Execute the transaction code.
- Enter release code (mandatory) and release group (optional).
- Options – keep it as default like on the below screen.
- You can choose the appropriate scope of the list and purchasing document category (if we only want to see the purchase orders available for release we will choose "F").
Step 2) On the next screen, we can see the purchase orders selected by our criteria.
- Choose the purchase order you want to release by clicking on it.
- Click on the release button.
Status of the purchase order has changed to released.
Step 3) You can see in the ME23N or ME22N transaction that our purchase order has altered statuses."Release completed" and "Released" statuses are now shown in the PO header data.
Process flow is the same for all of the purchase documents (RFQ, PR, quotation etc).
Cancelling a release
Step 1) Purchasing document release has to be reversed in order for already released document to be changed.
- You can do that from the same transaction ME28.
- Choose the Cancel release check box and execute the transaction.
Step 2) You will see the list of purchase documents available for release cancelation.
- Choose the appropriate document.
- Click on the Cancel release button.
- Save and you are done.
Cancelling a release isn't possible if your release strategy doesn't allow the release to be reversed. This is a setting maintained on the release indicator and release strategy level.
You can test a release strategy used by the purchasing document by clicking the "Release Strategy" button on the above screen. You can also simulate the strategy output with Simulate release button.